Many of us are familiar with the expression “breast is best” — and for good reason. It’s because of the myriad benefits of breast milk that are simply impossible to reproduce in formula.The overall benefit of feeding babies breast milk instead of formula has been well established. Breast milk provides babies with a variety of antibodies to boost their immune system, develop their brain, and resist illness.
Yet, there are many benefits of breast milk that can be intriguing.
- Pain Relief: The endorphins in breastmilk can actually reduce pain felt by your child, so nurse away anytime your little one gets hurt.
- For Cuts: Breastmilk is actually a natural antiseptic, and it can be used to soothe and promote healing of cuts and scrapes.f you are out and about and someone gets hurt, use breastmilk to clean out the wound if you do not have access to another cleansing agent.
- Adult Acne: Use a mixture of breastmilk and coconut oil on a cotton ball to help clear up acne in teens and adults.
- Make-Up Removal: Use breastmilk on a cotton ball or pad to remove make-up and soften skin.
- Coffee Creamer: It’s milk. It’s sweet. It’s sweet milk for your coffee!
- Necklaces: emorialize your nursing years into a necklace. Here is one where the milk has been made into a plastic-like substance by solidifying the casein content.
- Soap: “Milk is touted as an ideal ingredient for skin care products because it contains essential proteins, amino acids, and vitamin A, which nourishes skin. Milk is also rich in lactic acid, which cleanses and softens.”
So, the next time you don’t know what to do with excess breast milk, try one of the above.
If you’re having trouble maintaining a good milk supply, having difficulty with getting your baby to latch on, experiencing painful blocked ducts, or suffering other lactation troubles, a one-to-one consultation can be arranged with our certified Lactation Consultant.